|Staff at Bold Street Studio - taken sometime between 1923 and 1948. The Hardmans' dog Bick is included too!|
The Burrell & Hardman Studio opened at 51a Bold Street in March 1923. At the time Bold Street had some of the most prestigious shops in Liverpool and right from the start Burrel & Hardman attracted important and well-to-do clients such as the Earl of Derby and Professors Patrick Abercromby and Charles Reilly of the University of Liverpool. They also became the official photographers for the Playhouse Repertory Theatre in 1923, the same time that Edward Chambre Hardman became an active member of the Sandon Society. In 1924 Hardman also enrolled as a member of the Royal Photographic Society and Liverpool Amateur Photographic Society.
The studio was in the first floor of 51 Bold Street, which meant that there was no window for Burrell & Hardman to have a display. They overcame this obstacle by temporarily renting space in vacant shop fronts such as this window at 74 Bold Street.
They also used large display boards in railway stations such as Liverpool Central and Liverpool Lime Street - one of which now resides in our Ticket Office. (Photo to be added soon)
Burrell and Hardman was based at 51a Bold Street for over 20 years, until their lease expired in 1948 and they decided to move. During their time at Bold Street they employed around 10 members of staff at any one time, including Margaret Mills who joined the business as an assistant in 1926.